Cheese scones are always welcome! Great when you are entertaining as they are simple to make and delicious too.
- 450g / 1lb of sifted self-raising flour
- 10g / 1/2oz of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 110g / 4oz of grated cheddar
- 10g / 1/2oz of mixed dried herbs
- 50g / 2oz of butter
- 225ml / 8fl.oz half-and-half mix of milk and water
- Put the oven on at 230c / 450F / gas mark 8.
- Line a metal baking sheet with greaseproof paper or a silicone mat.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, herbs and half of the grated cheese to a mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingertips until the mix looks like fine bread crumbs.
- Now knead the mix, adding the water/milk a little at a time until your soft dough comes together. You can use a mixer with the dough hook here for ease.
- Roll out to about 1 to 1 1/2cm think and use a cutter to make the round scones. You can gather up and re-roll the leftover dough until you have as many scones as possible – you should get about twenty out of this dough mixture.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 15 to 17 minutes until they rise and brown on the top. Keep an eye on them though as ovens can vary!
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy eating your cheese scones.
We shall be tucking into these tomorrow as a bit of a change to our normal Friday cake at bakestore.co.uk. We hope you give these a try and enjoy them too.