This is a great recipe that is made using a batter with oil rather than butter or margarine. That gives the cake a muffin style texture and it is then topped off with a very rich chocolate fudge icing. This one is also simple to make as you can use the all-in-one method too.
This is our cake:
Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 100g / 4oz of self-raising flour
- 25g / 1oz of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 100g / 4 oz of caster sugar
- 6 tbsp of vegetable or sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp of milk
- 2 eggs
For the icing:
- 25g / 1oz of margarine
- 1 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp of milk (approx.)
- 100g / 4oz of sifted icing sugar and a little extra for dusting
- A little warmed strawberry jam
1) Turn the oven on to about 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4
4) Tip the batter into the tin and bake for about 25 minutes.
5) Cool in the tin completely before turning out and removing any liner or baking parchment.
6) To make the icing, first melt the margarine in a pan on a low heat. Then add the cocoa powder and stir in on the heat for a minute or so. Then remove the pan from the heat and beat in the milk and icing sugar well, until smooth. You can leave this to cool for a while now so that it thickens enough to stay on the cake!
7) Spread a little warmed strawberry jam over the cake (this should keep your cake moist as well as making it much simpler to spread the fudge icing without mixing in crumbs from your cake and mucking up the icing) before spreading over the fudge icing and dusting with a little icing sugar (I think I got carried away here) to finish.
Don’t forget you can get any of the baking equipment that you need for this chocolate muffin cake, and loads of other lovely baking things, from our website at www.bakestore.co.uk or by following the links in the recipe.